Monday, February 25, 2008

Un viaje muy bonito, y una obra de teatro



This past weekend, Roberto, the other 6th grade teacher at Varmond, offered to take me to see a few other cities in Michoacan. We left Friday afternoon after lunch and headed to La Piedad where he used to live and still has friends. We got to his friends´, Ricardo and Javier (I love the names here!) apartment after an almost 3 hour scenic ride through mountains and desert. His friends had dinner waiting for us and then took me to see the different views of the city at night and the central plaza. It was beautiful and you could see so many stars. I learned that because of the shape of the city and the different levels that its at no matter what part of the city you are in, you can never see the whole city at once. Then back to the apartment to rest up for the next day. Saturday we went back to the central plaza to see the church and the fountain in the daytime. La Piedad is a really nice little city. Then we dropped his friends off at work and headed on to Zamora to see the church there. It was incredible, so beautiful. It had amazing stained glass windows and a beautiful painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and one of the biggest organs I´ve ever seen. Roberto, who has traveled just about everywhere, told me the design of the church is modeled after Notre Dame in Paris, how cool is that? Then I off to a market place to try chongos a dulce that´s only made in Zamora, don´t ask me what it´s made of I tried to figure it out but all I know is it was good. Then back on the road for a little bit to head to Lake Camecuaro. It was absolutely beautiful. The lake was crystal clear and surrounded by beautiful trees. There were ducks and families there on vacation swimming, yes swimming because the water is warm even in February, and so much food. It was an amazing place we walked around the lake a little and had lunch. I tried secina, which is dried cooked meat really good, and agua miel which is made from the plant they use to make tequilla, it was really good. Then on the way home we pulled over to buy tamales de zarzamora, which are tamales made with blackberries so they were purple also very good. I am really going to miss the food here. The ride home was again incredibly scenic. It´s so great to be surrounded by mountains, and trees and green and then sometimes large patches of desert it´s so beautiful. I wish you all could see it. I will post pictures of my trip next time so you can see the church and the lake.
Today was an interesting day at school we took the kids to see a play in English called Transylvania. It was pretty cheesy but the kids enjoyed it. It was so funny afterwards to hear some of the reactions. One of my students came up to me and asked me if I understood it word for word, another asked me what it was about, one of them told me she cried because the couple got together and she thought it was beautiful. Many of the girls told me it was romantic and asked me if I was thinking of my boyfriend. And Roberto said he liked it even though he didn´t understand it at all since he doesn´t speak hardly any English! All and all a good day even though I´m still way behind in the book and will have to take a few days of next week to finish it because there have been so many extra activities going on in such a short month. I´ll keep you posted on how the rest of the week goes.

No comments: